Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees advises the Board of Directors on the strategic direction of the Institute and its organization. The Board of Trustees is composed of the presidents of the individual partners or their representatives, two representatives of the BMBF, and one representative of the State of Berlin. The chairmanship of the Board of Trustees and the deputy chairmanship are appointed by the BMBF.
- MinDir Matthias Graf von Kielmansegg, Head of Office 1 “Strategies and Policy Issues,” Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- MinDirig‘in Dr. Angelika Willms-Herget, Head of Subdivision 42 “Research Organizations,” Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Prof. Dr. Günter Ziegler, President, Freie Universität Berlin
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Reimund Neugebauer, President, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft for the Promotion of Applied Research e.V.
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. Sabine Kunst, President, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Steffen Krach, State Secretary for Science and Research to the Governing Mayor of Berlin, Berlin Senate Chancellery
- Prof. Oliver Günther, Ph.D., President, Universität Potsdam
- Prof. Dr. Christian Thomsen, President, Technische Universität Berlin
- Prof. Martin Rennert, President, Universität der Künste
- Prof. Dr. h.c. Jutta Allmendinger, Ph.D., President, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)
The Advisory Board advises the board of directors and the administrative office on the development and implementation of the Institute's strategic orientation, its transfer formats, its work with the network partners, and its external presentation. The Advisory Board is made up of representatives from science, civil society, politics, business, and the media.
- Prof. Dr. Christoph Bieber, Institute of Political Science, Universität Duisburg-Essen
- Prof. em Dr. Uta Brandes, Design Researcher
- Prof. Dr. Johannes Buchmann, Computer Science, TU Darmstadt
- Prof. Peter Dr. Buxmann, Information Systems/Software & Digital Business, TU Darmstadt
- Prof. em. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Martin Grötschel, President of the Berlin-Brandenburgischen Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Prof. Dr. Christiane Eilders, Communication and Media Studies, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
- Prof. Dr. Konrad Förstner, Head of the Provision of Information Services focus area at ZB MED – Information Centre for Life Sciences, TH Köln
- Prof. Dr. Sabine Pfeiffer, Sociologist, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Prof. Dr. Indra Spiecker named Döhmann, LL.M., Chair in Public Law, Information Law, Environmental Law and Legal Theory, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt a. M.
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Weichert, Digital Journalism / Head of „Digital Journalism Initiative", Hamburg Media School gGmbH
- Joanna Schmölz, Digital Strategist, Senate Office Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
- Harald Summa, Managing Director des eco – Verband der Internetwirtschaft e. V.
- Stefan Sauer, Member of the German Bundestag, Deputy Chairman of the Enquete Commission on Artificial Intelligence
The Scientific Council advises the Board of Directors and the administrative office in all important matters of the Institute, particularly in questions of strategic and scientific priorities and in the design of scientific work and transfer formats. The Scientific Council is made up of one PI per collaborating partner, as well as two representatives each from the research group leaders, the scientific staff, the student assistants, and the administrative and technical staff. The managing director, the two deputies, and the office management take part in the meetings in an advisory capacity. The Executive Director obtains the opinion of the Scientific Council before making decisions on the development of guidelines for external and internal communication, for reporting and controlling, and for the institute's scientific indices.
- Prof. Dr. Anja Feldmann (TU Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Manfred Hauswirth (Fraunhofer FOKUS)
- Prof. Dr. Jeanette Hofmann (WZB)
- Prof. Dr. Hanna Kransova (Universität Potsdam)
- Prof. Dr. Barbara Pfetsch (FU Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Niels Pinkwart (HU Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Schildhauer (UdK Berlin)
Research Group Leads
- Dr. Sonja Schimmler (Fraunhofer FOKUS)
- Dr. Thorsten Thiel (WZB)
- Katharina Baum (Universität Potsdam)
- Alexander Schiff (HU Berlin)
- Esra Eres (WZB)
- Jan Kopankiewicz (Fraunhofer FOKUS)
- Sonata Cepik (WZB)
- Annika Schütz (FU Berlin)